Mold Test – Find Out if Your Home is Toxic
A mold test to find out if your home is contaminated with toxic mold can save your life. Airborne mold spores, even in large amounts are invisible to the naked eye. A mold test, like an air quality test can tell you if you have toxic mold in the air. While we all have mold both indoors and outdoors, we should never breathe toxic mold.
How Mold Get Indoors
Because mold is microscopic in size, the spores in the outside air easily find their way into our homes. The spores come in on our persons, in our windows and doors and through our ventilation systems. This is a very common process in everyday life. However, when mold spores begin to reproduce in abundant amounts, it can cause really big problems. Many people are known to have mold allergies or sensitivities when airborne levels are high. Even if the mold is not toxic mold. Many molds produce Mycotoxins that cause an array of health issues. It’s important to know the airborne levels of mold to determine what can be causing your health issues. A mold test, like an air quality test will tell you if you have toxic airborne mold. It will also tell you the levels of other airborne molds in your indoor environment.
Mold only needs moisture to grow. Many times we will see it growing after some type of water damage within 24 to 48 hours. Toxic mold needs heavy amounts of moisture before it begins to produce. Toxic mold also takes longer to produce than other molds. The Mycotoxins from molds don’t usually produce Stachybotrys (most toxic mold) for months. That means the area has to be very wet for a long time. And, once it does begin to grow, it needs that constant water source to continue to produce.
Toxic mold, like all other molds, need a food source along with the water source for reproduction. Toxic mold enjoys food sources that are low in nitrogen and high in cellulose. Therefore, it is common to find toxic mold growing on the following indoor building materials:
- Ceiling tiles
- Drywall / sheetrock
- Unfinished Woods
- Paper Products
How Does Toxic Mold / Black Mold Become Airborne?
It is rare to find toxic mold in the air because the spores are usually held in a gooey like wetness. This helps the spores from becoming airborne. However, when someone tries to wipe or spray the mold, it can easily cause the mold spores to become airborne. Putting any type of fan or forced air on it, will also cause it to become airborne.
If you or someone you know suspect toxic mold in your air, a mold test should be done.
How to Protect Yourself from Toxic Mold
You can be your best protector by due diligence. If you know you have water damage, get it cleaned up right away. If you think you have a mold issue, get a mold test. If you are sick from mold exposure, go to a doctor who specializes in mold exposure. Mold can be found in your blood too. If it is found, you will need to be treated with specific antibiotics. In serious cases, you will need more extreme treatments.
Always keep moisture levels in your home down to help prevent excess mold growth. When you use your HVAC system on a regular basis, this will help circulate the air and keep humidity levels down. However, the system and ducts should be cleaned and sanitized to help with proper functioning.
Don’t put yourself, your family, or your home at risk, get a mold test today to find out if your home is toxic.
Call Morris Environmental at 770-546-3998 or schedule online at www.MorrisEnvironmental.com